From Starfleet Commander
The Research Lab is where you build new technologies. Generally technologies can do one of the following things:
- Improve existing items. For instance, upgrading weapons tech gives all of your ships 10% extra weapons rating in battle.
- Unlock new technologies.
- Unlock new ships, buildings, and defenses.
Some technologies have certain prerequisites, such as a certain level Research Lab or a certain level of another technology. They will not appear in your Research Lab until you've reached the requisite minimums.
- You can only have one research project in progress at any given time, regardless of how many labs you have. To take advantage of multiple research labs, you must research Advanced Research Communications Network.
- Research can be canceled before completion for a full refund of resources.
- To research some technologies, a certain research lab level in the planet must be reached.
- Research labs can use only resources currently on the planet where the research is to be started.
- To use resources from another planet for research, it must be transported from other planets to the planet with the research lab.
- To increase research speed, you need Lab Droids (+2% each), Human Worker (invited friends) (+2% each), Androids (+4% each), or a Scientist (+25%).
- The number of workers that can be used depends on the research lab level. You may add one worker to a Lab, plus one extra worker for every 3 levels. (So a level 3, 4 or 5 Lab can have 2 workers, a level 6 may have 3, etc.)
|Level||Ore||Crystal||Hydrogen||Research Time %|
The time it takes to research a new technology is determined by the following formula:
Research Lab Level is the combined level of the Research Lab on the originating planet, plus the player's X highest level Research Labs on other planets, where X is their Advanced Research Communications Network level.
Note: In Starfleet Extreme, the denominator is 2000 * (Research Lab Level + 1)
- Energy Tech (level 1)
- AI Tech (level 1)
- Jet Drive (level 1)
- Laser Tech (level 1)
- Armor Tech (level 2)
- Pulse Drive (level 2)
- Espionage Tech (level 3)
- Expedition Tech (level 3)
- Particle Tech (level 4)
- Plasma Tech (level 4)
- Weapons Tech (level 4)
- Shield Tech (level 6)
- FTL Tech (level 7)
- Warp Drive (level 7)
- Advanced Research Communications Network (level 10)