User talk:Phil Sutherland/Archive 1
From Starfleet Commander
A few Pointers
A few pointers I would like to give:
- If you haven't seen it yet, look just above the search box and you'll notice several links. "Recent Changes" will show you the most recent changes in the wiki. Look at this often, because it's vital if you want to keep this wiki in proper condition.
- If a user, registered or anonymous, vandalizes a wiki page by spamming to outside links, putting in false information or (as is the most common), flaming on alliance pages, first undo the damage (the rollback option, which only appears for admins, will revert it to the previous version) and then take this series of steps:
- Go to the History tab of that page OR to recent changes.
- Click on the name/IP address of the one who did the damage
- You'll see, near the top of the screen by the heading text the word "block". Click on that.
- You'll be presented with several option, including how long you want to block the person for, next to the word "Expiry". It ranges from like a day to a year. Depending on how persistent the person is and/or how bad the damage is, choose whatever you think appropriate. I personally go the 1-3 month route, but whatever you decide is fine.
- There's also the option to go to the block menu straight from the Recent Changes tab. I just now noticed that.
- If you haven't noticed, there is a "Show Preview" button next to the "Save page" button. I bring this up because I noticed how, on the Recent Changes page, you've saved changes repeatedly on the same page. Show preview gives you a live preview of what it will look like when you save the changes.
- Also, I've been wanting to start up a council of sorts of the folks who moderate the wiki. It wouldn't be too serious, just a little get-together alerting each other of any repeated/serious flaming going on, misinformation, and also picking special page categories that each person would select to monitor and verify the information in. Let me know if you're interested.
Ya I use the Recent Change button most often. I also have most important pages on my watch list. But the blocking info was useful. Thanks Oh and you forgot to sign your name. I can't remember how to sing stuff for others. --Phil Sutherland 10:50, 12 May 2010 (UTC)
Can you give me the link to the two copies of the Spice Guild's page? 20:10, 12 May 2010 (UTC) They are Spice Guild (Spice) and the current one Spacing Guild (Spice)
No that wasn't me. I thought it was you who created the double. But The older version will be removed since it is not needed.
- We lack a list of admins.
- For questions, the norm is to ask them on the discussion page of the relevant topic.
- I shall have to use the welcome template more. Thanks!
Jesus Saves 02:26, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
Ya I was just thinking about questions and realized that we don't need a question page. --Phil Sutherland 10:54, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
Wiki Editors Council
I wanted to get those who patrol the wiki, admin or not, and set up a system where we all monitor the wiki and fix improper changes. If excessive flaming begins then it would be undone and if it continues between multiple parties as a flame war, the council would be notified. A notice would also be given to the council in general about blocks and bans. In addition, while everyone would monitor all pages, each person would have one or more categories (ships, defenses, game mechanics, alliances, etc.) that they would specifically monitor, giving extra attention to ensure data is correct and acceptable.
Alliance pages? Sounds good. Although I hope you wouldn't mind if I find something that needs reverting and fix it before you get the chance. Gotta keep this place clean and time is of the essence. Jesus Saves 13:56, 16 May 2010 (UTC)
Sounds good. Jesus Saves 14:10, 16 May 2010 (UTC)
Ah, you're experiencing the joy of administrating! Don't forget to let Laggynate know you locked them. Jesus Saves 01:39, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- To alert Laggynate, it's probably best to send him a PM on the forum.
- Including this edit, I've made 272 edits to the wiki.
Jesus Saves 13:38, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sounds good. I noticed a few days back you welcomed like a hundred people in the course of twenty minutes. Was that a test bot? Jesus Saves 02:39, 29 May 2010 (UTC)
I'm not sure what you've added recently except for those protected templates. The spelling is perfect on them, from what I can see. Jesus Saves 20:55, 31 May 2010 (UTC)
Oh, those two sites. The spelling on them is perfect as well. Although the admins/beaurocrats page could probably use a shorter name or at least some redirects, such as the word "admins". Jesus Saves 02:17, 1 June 2010 (UTC)
- You came over on my page and asked about being a wiki admin.... I would love to. Just didn't want to be all high and mighty and recommend myself. Silver Gate Squadron 13:02, 1 June 2010 (UTC)
- Yayy Wiki Editors Council. Jesus Saves 13:44, 19 June 2010 (UTC)
Files are list My Page
is it possible to change ones Wiki Id name ? --Gary Mintz 20:55, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Can I be an wiki admin? I'll work hard and if I see someone change/edit the page like Alliance's page for example: KBF, they add 'we suck'. So can I be one? Jamesa 13:26, 30 June 2010 (UTC)
Hey Phil Sutherland, why did you block my brother's account, Jamesa, which is my brother and I want you to unblock him and let him be Administrator again. He said he didn't abuse multiple accout, that was our little sister's account because she stole his username as AceLucky. I want you to give the reseasons why did you block. How did you know he abuse multiple accounts? Maybe you think he also AceLucky...WRONG!! Our little sister is. So, I want you to tell Jamesa that you're sorry for blocking him and abuse multiple accoutn. And I'm not demanding an Admin Status, I'm just want you to let my brother be Administrator. PhoenixReaper
* Just a point I'd like to make. Jamesa was an admin for LESS THAN THREE HOURS, during which time his FIRST action was to remove AceLucky's block, which was deserved. Regardless of the circumstances, that pattern of behavior only reinforced my reservations (remember, I was also the only one who did not vote in favor)... I don't agree that Jamesa needs to be reinstated (as an Admin) in order to "restore" the previous situation. Being an admin is a priveledge, not a right, and Jamesa's first action was to abuse it. Silver Gate Squadron 05:46, 10 July 2010 (UTC) '
- This User:PhoenixReaper is most likely another multiple account --Phil Sutherland 11:18, 10 July 2010 (UTC)
- To Phil: Am not, that what you thinking. How is this possible that you think I'm abuse of multiple accounts. Wow, is that how do your job? I'm just trying to help out here. PhoenixReaper
- To Silver: He accidently removed AceLucky, that was his mistake. PhoenixReaper
- Phil, can you please unprotected my page, so I can add more History about Federation of Sivac, which I'm in that alliance. Please. Jamesa 18:25, 14 July 2010