From Starfleet Commander
A Fleet is a group of ships that is in motion. These can be attacking, group defending, transporting, harvesting, deploying or colonizing.
- In Starfleet Commander, you are given a maximum number of Fleets based on your AI Tech level, usually equal to that level plus one. That is the most amount of Fleets you may send out at once.
- Ships stationed at your planet do not count as a fleet.
- Fleets can have an unlimited number of ships.
- Ships sent on missions count as fleets. Each active mission, from the Missions page, is one fleet.
- You can create custom fleets for colonization or harvest missions on the Fleets screen, or by clicking a highlighted entry on the Galaxy page.